Date: 1/7/19 12:48 pm
From: Stephen Rice <birdguy...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Common birds: Bewick's Wrens and Golden-crowned sparrows
At our SE Portland, Mt Tabor neighborhood feeder we’ve noted very few GC Sparrows so far this winter — just 1-6 per weekend — compared with recent years, when only Juncos were more numerous.

A Bewick’s Wren visits occasionally as usual, apparently more interested in inspecting woodpile and structures (for spider eggs?) than partaking of suet.

A warm winter so far, eh? Only the occasional Varied Thrush Here. Our first Purple Finch, though.

Steve Rice
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 7, 2019, at 11:40 AM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:
>
> My experience with Bewick’s on the coast this past fall has been that they were hard to find. Golden-crowns are common around Eugene in the usual places this winter. Juncos and WT sparrows seemed to trickle in slowly this fall and then suddenly were findable in usual numbers around mid-Dec.
>
> Juncos in particular in Lane Co. went from Low to OMG in about a week right as CBCs started. I surmise that this was caused by the eventual onset of winter weather to the north. November was not very wintery.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

>> On Jan 7, 2019, at 10:42 AM, <clearwater...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Saturday while covering three of the four main tracts of Luckiamute State Natural Area as part of the Airlie-Albany CBC, walking about 7.5 miles in the process, I had contrasting experiences with two common species:
>>
>> BEWICK'S WREN: In the first patch that I covered (back part of the Vanderpool Tract and Willamette Botanicals tract behind headquarters), I tallied 23 Bewick's Wrens while making a big loop along the wooded edges of the area, and zigzagging through a broad strip of 10-year-old native tree/shrub plantings. There was more habitat of the same type that I didn't manage to cover. Several of the wrens were singing.
>>
>> By the time I got to the other areas (Luckiamute Landing Tract and front part of Vanderpool Tract)and a light drizzle was starting to fall intermittently, and bird activity seemed to be reduced. I wound up with 33 Bewick's Wrens for the morning, but I wouldn't doubt that are upward of 100 in the area.
>>
>> GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW: This was just the opposite. I didn't find a single Golden-crowned Sparrow until I was finishing up in the Vanderpool Tract, when I came across a flock of a dozen or so. By that time I'd recorded every other species of sparrow that we normally find here in winter, except for Savannah Sparrow. In years past, I would have expected to encounter closer to 200 Golden-crowns for these same areas, with that amount of walking.
>>
>> Typically we find on the order of 100 Bewick's Wrens and 1000 Golden-crowned Sparrows on this count. It'll be interesting to see how this year's totals compare, and what other Willamette Valley CBCs have been finding.
>>
>> Has anyone else been finding anomalously high or low numbers of one or the other?
>>
>> --
>> Joel Geier
>> Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!