Date: 1/7/19 8:02 am
From: Matthew via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Owls and eBird- A word of caution
If insisting on posting to eBird, the easiest way to do it and protect the
location would be to hide the checklist. This can't be done from the app
yet, only from the website, so I would suggest holding off on submitting
the checklist until you're near a computer if you use the app. The checkbox
can be found on the right hand side of the checklist when open. Then, you
can wait til the end of the season to uncheck the box. Hiding output also
hides it from data collection, but I would not be concerned about that as I
doubt many researchers are pulling data during the wintering season; they
probably wait until after the season is over. This is my typical course of
action if I find a day roost.

Some more notes on hidden checklists: if you hide a checklist for 7 days,
it will not appear on email alerts, yet will show up as a red marker on the
species map. If you hide it for a minimum of 30 days, when unhidden it will
appear blue on the species map, meaning not recent. This can be utilized if
a bird hasn't been seen in a couple days and you feel confident that it has
moved on.

-Matt Bell
Connecticut Audubon Society EcoTravel