Date: 1/7/19 5:25 am
From: Dana Duxbury-Fox <danafox...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Crow Patrol Lawrence MA Jan 6
Last night (Sunday the 6th) TWENTY wonderful folk joined us (Bob, Craig and
I) for a spectacular late afternoon Crow Patrol. We met in the New Balance
Factory Store Parking Lot at 3:30 pm and, after a brief introduction, walked
over to the Parking Garage and got to the top floor. There was a dark band
of clouds on the western sky which prevented us from having a grand sunset,
the temperatures around 30 and the wind was from the NW at 20 miles per
hour. Some took the elevator and others walked to the top open roof of the
garage where you have a grand view to the east, south and west. It was
indeed bracing!!!

Thousands of crow were perched in the tree tops to the south in the So.
Common Park and further east. Soon they started lifting up in waves and
moved northwest - some dropped down on the lower roof of the B & D Warehouse
building, some continues further north out over the river. Many came back to
the roof while others peppered the sky above the northern side of the
Merrimack River some settling into the trees in Pemberton Park and other
filling the sky and settling further west. We have not seen so many staging
to the north and west of our vantage point this winter, possibly it was to
be in the lee of the wind. With the old, tall smokestacks from the age of
the textile mills and the many Catholic Churches that served the many
migrant waves that moved into the city to work in those mills, the crows
appear in a unique backdrop. Again another pattern we had not seen before.

It was impossible to count the crows last night with their constant moving
and settling here and there except to say the noise and sight of thousands
of crows was dramatic. Needless to say the stair wells and the southern
elevator areas with their glass walls and heated environment attracted many
of our group.

Once darkness was falling on the city, a few folk ventured (but not for
long) out on the west side of Duck Bridge to watch the crows settle into
their nightly roost. The wind was fierce coming down the river but the
crows seemed to be clinging onto the leafless branches and were bobbing
about. Not a place I'd like to spend the night.

Frank Walley and John Harrison got some great videos from last night. Craig
Gibson has already got some pictures from last night up on the blog -
www.wintercrowroost.com <http://www.wintercrowroost.com>

Do check it out plus read our references to learn more about wintering
crows.

Please plan to attend the new opening of Lawrence's Essex Art Center's
Winter Crow Roost exhibit at 56 Island St. - Friday night the 11th from
5-7PM. The exhibit will be open for two months 10-6 Monday to Friday.

You can follow the directions to the Crow Roost printed on the blog and
enjoy it any day of the year. Best to chose a night when the wind is not
too strong and dress warmly. Sunny afternoons give great photo ops from the
garage.

I will let you know when we are giving our next guided tour.

Dana

Dana Duxbury-Fox

North Andover, MA

<danafox...>