Date: 1/6/19 9:59 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Evening Grosbeaks
We used to have a couple of additional montane CBCs, most recently Santiam Pass. There is talk of starting one in the Diamond Lake region. It would be nice to have one in the Anthony Lakes region for comparison.

High-elevation CBCs are not easy to run owing to access issues and few observers. This may well be a situation in which Doug’s point about the utility of eBird could be focused on a specific issue. Perhaps ask Oregon birders to specifically focus on montane areas in February and post to eBird or share with someone who would?

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe

> On Jan 6, 2019, at 6:26 AM, <clearwater...> wrote:
>
> Hi Wayne & All,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, If that were the case, I suppose we should see higher numbers on more northern CBCs (so far as they extend), and at more northern eBird observation points (so far as they go).
>
> Looking at eBird, observations farther north into Washington and British Columbia still seem scant (apart from a couple of feeder-watchers who seem to be reporting the same flocks of 15-30 birds repeatedly).
>
> Perhaps elevational movement is part of the story. We have so few CBCs in the mountains, and eBird coverage of mountain forests also becomes very scant in winter.
>
> Last evening, Paul Adamus mentioned to me that some Canadian biologists are concerned about Evening Grosbeaks, in part due to their tendency to forage for grit along gravel roads, and then be killed by passing trucks.
>
> The CBC database does show a steep decline for this species in western regions (about 8% per year in the Northern Pacific Rainforest region, and 9% per year in the Great Basin). That could perhaps be accounted for, in part, by Evening Grosbeaks staying longer farther north or at higher elevations where there is less CBC coverage. I don't know whether or how the CBC analysts have weighted geographic coverage in their analysis. But taken at face value, those are worrisome trends.
>
> Joel

Join us on Facebook!