Date: 1/4/19 5:58 am
From: Fred Atwood <FAtwood...>
Subject: very belated report on Pendleton CBC
Dear WV Birders
Sorry for my delay in posting this summary of the Pendleton CBC held on Dec
18, 2018. Many thanks to the excellent and conscientious 10 field
participants (and several feeder watchers), including new participants
James Fox, Kyle Rambo, and Darrell Good, and returning Herb Myers, Sherry
Crigler, Jimmy Waybright, David Carr and Chuck and Paula Waggy. Special
thanks to the Ruddle sisters for organizing and compiling the results from
the feeder watchers. Carolyn Ruddle organized this count for decades before
I inherited it from her.

Unfortunately one sector was not covered this year because the birder ran
into a deer en route and had to get his car towed back home for repair. He
was OK.
Despite this decrease in coverage, we found 67 species and 3 additional
count week birds. Most notable were a Spotted Sandpiper at the Franklin
WTP found by James Fox, a Pine Warbler in the pines in the Brandywine
sector, and a record-breaking 24 red-breasted nuthatches, 22 of which were
in the pines in the Brandywine sector. This count was triple our previous
high. The warbler and sandpiper were only the second sightings in the 41
years of the count. Other unusual sightings for this count were chipping
sparrow (seen 6 previous years) and Wilson's snipe (seen 3 previous years).
The rivers were very fast and deep, perhaps explaining our low number for
great blue heron. Winter finches were quite low especially considering
that this is an irruption year for some of them. Cedar berries were scarce,
perhaps explaining why there were so few cedar waxwings, bluebirds, and
robins. We had new high counts of white-throated sparrow, red-shouldered
hawk, brown creeper, and common merganser. There were dramatically
lower-than-average counts of titmouse, cedar waxwing, robin, house finch,
American crow, starling, and winter wren.

A complete list follows. (NOY = number of years seen in the previous 40 of
this count. H = high count, A = recent average)
141 Canada Goose H 517, A 202, NOY 20 + 2 cw
16 American Black Duck H 80, A 26, NOY 14
94 Mallard H 268 A 61 NOY 23
15 Mallard or Black Duck silhouettes
1 cw Lesser Scaup H 1, A 1, NOY 5
1 cw Bufflehead H 4, A 1, NOY 6
1 cw Ring-necked Duck H 3, A 0, NOY 1 + 1 cw
22 Common Merganser, new high, H 18, A 5, NOY 8
4 Hooded Merganser, H 12, A 3, NOY 6 + 1 cw
1 Ruffed Grouse H 10, A 1, NOY 31, definitely evidence of a decline in this
species
9 Wild Turkey H 59, A 16, NOY 22 + 3 cw
3 Great Blue Heron H 13, A 6, NOY 31
90 Black Vulture H 126, A 58, NOY 19 + 5 cw
128 Turkey Vulture H 171, A 60, NOY 12 + 2 cw
11 Bald Eagle H 35, A 12, NOY 17 + 1 cw
4 Golden Eagle H 6, A 3, NOY 18 + 9 cw
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk H 3, A 1, NOY 22
3 Cooper's hawk H 7, A 2, NOY 19 + 1 cw
30 Red-tailed Hawk H 40, A 22, NOY 38 + 1 cw
4 Red-shouldered Hawk H 3, A 1, NOY 8
12 American Kestrel H 15, A 10, NOY 39
1 Spotted Sandpiper seen only once before
1 Wilson's Snipe H 3, A 0, NOY 3
70 Rock Pigeon H 287, A 73, NOY 34
145 Mourning Dove H 368, A 128, N)& 38 + 1 cw
5 Screech Owl H 10, A 7, NOY 26
1 Barred Owl, H 2, A 0, NOY 5 + 1 cw
6 Belted Kingfisher H 14, A 9, NOY 39
2 Red-headed Woodpecker H 23, A 7, NOY 22 + 2 cw
47 Red-bellied Woodpecker H 54, A 36, NOY 39
9 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker H 18, A 8, NOY 30
47 Downy Woodpecker H 91, A 51, NOY 40
15 Hairy Woodpecker H 15, A 13, NOY 39
14 Flicker H 42, A 18, NOY 33 + 1 cw
11 Pileated Woodpecker H 30, A 19, NOY 39 + 1 cw
5 Phoebe H 7, A 3, NOY 25 + 2 cw
131 Bue Jay H 493, A 175, NOY 40
336 American Crow H 1718, A 643, NOY 40
40 Raven, H 69, A 45, NOY 37
125 BC Chickadee H 149, A 125, NOY 40
83 Titmouse, H 189, A 172, NOY 40
24 Red-breasted Nuthatch H 8, A 4, NOY 17
88 WB Nuthatch H 94, A 85, NOY 40
10 Brown Creeper H 7, A 6, NOY 32
86 Carolina wren H 105, A 78, NOY 38
3 Winter Wren H 13, A 7, NOY 26 + 1 cw
40 GC Kinglet H 95, A 49, NOY 34
2 RC Kinglet H 4, a 2, NOY 14
87 Bluebird H 146, A 105, NOY 34 + 1 cw
5 Hermit Thrush H 9, A 4, NOY 26 + 2 cw
2 Robin H 200, A 78, NOY 26 + 2 cw
21 Mockingbird H 39, A 23, NOY 40
16 Cedar Waxwing H 448, A 135, NOY 24 + 1 cw
519 Starling H 3352, A 1268, NOY 40
22 Yellow-rumped Warbler H 107, A 41, NOY 18
1 Pine Warbler, second sighting ever
4 Towhee, H 10, A 3, NOY 12 + 1 cw
1 Chipping Sparrow H 4, A 1, NOY 6
26 Field Sprrow H 76, A 22, NOY 30
1 Fox Sparrow, H 18, A 6, NOY 12 + 1 cw
107 Song Sparrow H 111, A 82, NOY 39
2 Swamp Sparrow H 2, A 1, NOY 9 + 1 cw
132 White-Throated Sparrow H 118, A 84, NOY34
4 White-crowned Sparrow H 42, A 7, NOY 28
475 Junco H 1554, A 693, NOY 40
91 Cardinal H 159, A 102, NOY 40
1 Grackle H 136, A 3, NOY 20 + 2 cw
1 Purple Finch H 100, A 7, NOY 27
12 House Finch H 611, A 56, NOY 32 + 1 cw
15 Pine Siskin H 285, A 11, NOY 16 + 2 cw
251 Goldfinch H 298, A 183, NOY 37
98 House Sparrow H 35, A 117, NOY 40

Wishing you all great birding in 2019.
Fred Atwood