Date: 1/2/19 2:50 pm
From: <scott...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: The Full Beto

Looks like the Full Beto got Trumped. ☹

From: <texbirds-bounce...> <texbirds-bounce...> On Behalf Of David Sarkozi
Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 8:38 AM
To: TexBirds <texbirds...>

Look folks, I meant nothing political by my choice of names for the challenge. I simply named it for a PUBLIC FIGURE who very publicly bragged about visiting every county in Texas. When it was suggested to try it, that's what I immediately thought of. I am frankly totally mystified why it would raise any hackles owing to the fact that he lost?

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 2:06 PM David Sarkozi <david...> <mailto:<david...> > wrote:

My personal challenge for 2019 birding will be to attempt "The Full Beto", or to record at least 1 bird in each of Texas' 254 counties. I'm naming this for Beto O'Rourke's feat of visiting all Texas counties for his senate campaign.

Just to keep it interesting I'll also try and set a mark for the most Texas County Ticks in a year. The Total County Ticks is interesting because I've no idea what the mark to aim for is. I can think of a couple of people I suspect have actually done a Full Beto and I'd guess they may have a number up there near 10K for annual county ticks

I did the numbers for myself for 2017 a year with 45k miles of birding in Texas, I had records in 150 counties and 5056 county ticks during the year. Doing the numbers I saw counties I know I was in but just didn't log a bird. Can;t let that happen again.

I recall I read somewhere that the average county was 60 miles across, so 254 x 60 = 15,240 miles minimum to hit all counties, completely doable.

Can I reach 10,000 county ticks? that would be just over 40 species per county average. that sounds hard, there are surely going to be a lot of 5-10 bird counties. I did have 14 counties in excess of 100 species in 2017 so maybe 10K is doable.

Anyone want to go birding in 2019?

--

David Sarkozi
Houston, TX