Date: 1/2/19 7:06 am
From: Norman Erthal <normerthal...>
Subject: [cobirds] New Guinea trip update

Hello all,

I have one or two spaces available for the trip to Irian Jaya or western
New Guinea for the June 2019. The beginning date is June 6. The trip will
be for 23 days for $8,300. We will have experienced local guides. This does
not include airfare to New Guinea. We are a definite go.

This announcement is approved by the CFO board.

We can expect about 300 species of which 175 are endemics and many others
only possible on nearby islands. Some regional endemic families are
treeswifts, megapodes, treecreepers, and sitellas. Endemic families are
berrypeckers, tit berrypeckers, and melampittas. Some interesting families
include 21 Australasian Robins, 28 honeyeaters, 16 birds-of-paradise, 12
kingfishers, 23 pigeons, 28 lories and parrots, and 10 fairywrens.

New Guinea is unfortunately expensive. Lodging even at private houses is
costly as the locals see it as a major income opportunity. The best I can
find in comparison for 17 days is over $13,000.

Cheers,

Norm

The itinerary is:

June 3 or 4 leave home for Jakarta or Dempasar, Bali

June 6 Day 1 : Arrive in Sorong in northwest Jaya, then take a boat to
Batanta on Waigeo Island, afternoon birding for Red BOP

June 7-8 Day 2-3 : Morning birding, hike for Wilson's BOP, afternoon
birding in Salawati try to find Western Crowned Pigeon.

June 9 Day 4 : Morning birding for King BOP, afternoon boat back to Sorong.

June 10 Day 5 : Fly to Manokwari in the northwest area of New Guinea known
as the Bird’s Neck, then drive to Arfak Mountains.

June 11-14 Day 6-9 : Full day birding in Arfak Mountains

June 12 Day 10 : Morning birding, drive back to town after lunch

June 13 Day 11 : Fly to Biak Island, afternoon birding

June 14 Day 12 : Full day birding

June 15 Day 13 : Fly to Jayapura in northeast Jaya

June 15-19 Day 13-17: Jayapura area – northern lowlands and Lake Sentani,
Niombokrang

June 18 Fly to Wamena in west central Jaya

June 21-26 Day 18-23: Lake Habema

June 27 Return to Jakarta or Dempasar and flight home

Norm Erthal

Arvada CO