Date: 12/31/18 4:59 pm
From: Timothy Steeves <timothydsteeves...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sauvie Island yesterday, late report. Odd goose at Wapato
I spotted a male Eurasian widgeon at Wapato last Thursday, but have not
been able to find it recently. Have also seen Male Hooded merganser and
Bufflehead on the main lake, too.

Kind of surprised that I haven't seen any Ring necked ducks out here so
far. Wapato usually gets quite a few of them when there is enough water in
this seasonal lake.

A Belted kingfisher has also been here on numerous occasions.

Happy birding and happy New Year!

Timothy Steeves
On Dec 31, 2018 1:37 PM, "Polly Alexander" <pollysalexander...>
wrote:

> We too hiked Wapato yesterday and besides what has already been reported,
> we saw a mixed flock of both Golden-crowned and Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, and
> heard a pair of Great Horned Owls hooting back and forth in the late
> afternoon quite close to the parking lot. One bird definitely had a lower
> pitch than the other, but otherwise they mirrored each other - assume male
> and female.
>
> Polly Alexander
>

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 12:35 PM, Ryan Gallagher <goodgallagher...>
> wrote:
>
> We were out at Wapato yesterday too. Tons of Pintails on the ponds. Found
> a couple pairs of red-breasted sap suckers, great egret, GBH, downy
> woodpecker, Anna’s hummingbird, red-tail hawk...
>
> A great day out on Sauvie’s!
>
> <image1.jpeg>
>
> On Dec 31, 2018, at 12:15, Steve Jaggers <sjjag...> wrote:
>
> Nine members of the East Portland Birding Club visited the island on a
> hunt day(less desirable but worked out)... highlights below.
>

> Coon Point showed 14 or more Bald Eagles, 8 or more presumed Tundra Swans
> at distance on the lake. Three confirmed by call Trumpeter Swans flew over.
> Many Sandhill Cranes now on the island.
>

> The East Side viewing platform was a surprisingly good spot in spite of
> the active hunting. With patience we found 3 pair of Redhead, a pair of
> Canvasback and random Wood ducks, P-B grebes and hundreds of Coots.
>

> Rentenauur Road gave us a Red Shouldered Hawk, many cranes, two Vesper
> Sparrows.
>
> We had a report of a Golden Eagle there but were unable to confirm it.
>

> Wapato Greenway pond was loaded with waterfowl of many types and oddly a
> Canada x something goose with the Baranacle like head markings and orange
> legs. This was similar to the Fernhill Wetlands bird of a few months ago
> and another sighting at Fern Ridge if I recall.
>

> Steve Jaggers

Join us on Facebook!