Date: 12/31/18 1:37 pm
From: Polly Alexander <pollysalexander...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sauvie Island yesterday, late report. Odd goose at Wapato
We too hiked Wapato yesterday and besides what has already been reported, we saw a mixed flock of both Golden-crowned and Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, and heard a pair of Great Horned Owls hooting back and forth in the late afternoon quite close to the parking lot. One bird definitely had a lower pitch than the other, but otherwise they mirrored each other - assume male and female.

Polly Alexander

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 12:35 PM, Ryan Gallagher <goodgallagher...> wrote:
>
> We were out at Wapato yesterday too. Tons of Pintails on the ponds. Found a couple pairs of red-breasted sap suckers, great egret, GBH, downy woodpecker, Anna’s hummingbird, red-tail hawk...
>
> A great day out on Sauvie’s!
>
> <image1.jpeg>
>
> On Dec 31, 2018, at 12:15, Steve Jaggers <sjjag...> <mailto:<sjjag...>> wrote:
>
>> Nine members of the East Portland Birding Club visited the island on a hunt day(less desirable but worked out)... highlights below.
>>

>> Coon Point showed 14 or more Bald Eagles, 8 or more presumed Tundra Swans at distance on the lake. Three confirmed by call Trumpeter Swans flew over. Many Sandhill Cranes now on the island.
>>

>> The East Side viewing platform was a surprisingly good spot in spite of the active hunting. With patience we found 3 pair of Redhead, a pair of Canvasback and random Wood ducks, P-B grebes and hundreds of Coots.
>>

>> Rentenauur Road gave us a Red Shouldered Hawk, many cranes, two Vesper Sparrows.
>>
>> We had a report of a Golden Eagle there but were unable to confirm it.
>>

>> Wapato Greenway pond was loaded with waterfowl of many types and oddly a Canada x something goose with the Baranacle like head markings and orange legs. This was similar to the Fernhill Wetlands bird of a few months ago and another sighting at Fern Ridge if I recall.
>>

>> Steve Jaggers

Join us on Facebook!