Date: 12/30/18 8:36 pm
From: Roger Freeman <freemanbecard...>
Subject: [obol] Silverton CBC summary comments
What a difference one day makes this time of year. Yesterday the
Silverton CBC was held on a blustery cloudy day with frequent showers and
all day misting/precipitation in the higher elevations. Today, Sunday, the
local weather was mostly clear, calm and mild. Almost ideal conditions.

We had 18 participants broken out into 8 sectors. Actually, despite the
marginal weather, it was a very good time, due to the hardy, talented and
joyful folks we had helping out. Visiting around a good breakfast to
start and after the count in the evening, a wonderful hot chili dinner
hosted by Grant and Stacy Canterbury, made for a very pleasant day.

Most of the upland birds were staying under cover and low profile, not to
be seen. 9100 individual birds of 83 species were counted, both numbers
at the low end of our long term range (1985-2018). A few highlights were
EURASIAN WIGEON (3), RUFFED GROUSE, PEREGRINE FALCON, CEDAR WAXWING (38),
WESTERN MEADOWLARK (22). A few disappointments were a count history low
of CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE (5), and VARIED THRUSH (5) and unfortunately
a count history high of EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE (141).

Some unexpected misses were LESSER SCAUP, PILEATED WOODPECKER, HERMIT
THRUSH (CW), and PINE SISKIN (3 years in a row).

Happy New Year!
Roger Freeman
Silverton OR

Join us on Facebook!