Date: 12/30/18 10:41 am
From: Christine Sheridan <cmsbirds...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Monson's may 2018 golden-winged warblers - where'd they go?
Hi Molly--

The bird, or birds, may have stayed throughout the breeding season. If
they did pair up with Blue-winged females, they may have nested, and
become much quieter and hard to find. Many people interested (some wanting
to add them to a list), may have become satisfied once they saw the birds,
and stopped looking for them.

In 2009 as a new birder, I was following at least two Lawrence's Warblers
(Blue-winged/Golden-winged backcrossed hybrids) in Nashua. After the end
of May, I found them very difficult to find, no longer sitting up on
branches and singing for all to hear! Eventually, I found them in a
nearby, but different location in the park, defending nests near to the
ground on the edge of forest and field from a hunting hawk. They had taken
Blue-winged females as mates.

The Golden-winged Warbler may have left the area, become victim to a
predator, but might have stayed and mated with a Blue-wing. It might be a
good spot to look for Brewster's Warblers (first generation hybrids) next
spring!

Blue-winged Warblers do have an alternate song, and both species apparently
can learn the buzzy vocalizations of each other.

Chris Sheridan
Nashua