Date: 12/30/18 7:27 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Winter Barn Swallow in Central Oregon
There were Tree Swallows on the Sauvie CBC about 1973. I recall Cliff
Swallows reported at Ridgefield NWR the day of the Coquille CBC, about 6
years ago. Then there is the Rough-wing in Clackamas County that showed up
in Desember this year a few days off from an appearance at the same spot
last Dec.. it was joined by a Violet-green this year. On the Coquille CBC
1/1/17 I think half the teams reported Barn Swallow. In the Norway and
Coquille sector three or more birds were involved. The day was marked by
regular, small,violent cold fronts, the ground turning white with hail,
then an hour of sun , or almost. Don't these cold fronts come at the back
of the same cyclone bringing the warm front days earlier?
As Wayne points out, swallow reports spike on CBCs. Observer effort
goes up by an order of magnitude, many spots receive a unique annual visit.
Then we retreat to comfort

Join us on Facebook!