Date: 12/27/18 5:52 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Shutdown-related closures at valley refuges
Hi Kai and all,

Thanks for the on-the-ground report. Word through the grapevine was that the various closure measures will be implemented when the "critical staff" (that is, the skeleton crew who are being kept on in various agencies for basic security issues) return from previously scheduled holiday breaks. So in some cases it might take some days for these things to happen.

The situation for Finley Rd. was a little unclear from the information that I saw. I saw some mention of signage rather than gate closure, even though the section of Finley Rd. between the gates is owned by USFWS (unlike Bruce Rd. farther south and Coville Rd. at Baskett Slough which are county roads).

There may well have been a decision to keep the gates open on request of state/county emergency-response officials, since otherwise response to incidents on a long, accident-prone stretch of Bellfountain Rd. could be hindered. The shutdown protocols posted on the DOI website contain some language about this type of circumstance. So maybe good to watch for signs popping up, even if the gates are open.

Joel

On Wed, 2018-12-26 at 17:49 -0800, Kai Frueh wrote:
Hi Joel and all,
> I was not aware of the refuges being closed and was at Finley this evening
> - no gates closed on the main Finley Road and was able to access all the
> main birding areas. HQ is probably closed, but did not check if it was.
> Good birding,
>
> Kai Frueh
> Coravallis, OR
>

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018, 3:35 PM <clearwater...> wrote:
>
> > According to a posting from the Friends of William L. Finley NWR facebook
> > group:
> >
> > "Due to the government shutdown, office buildings, gates and trailheads
> > will be closed until further notice."
> >
> > This includes the gated portion of Finley (Refuge) Rd., and the Snag Boat
> > Bend Annex.
> >
> > Presumably similar measures will be taken at Baskett Slough NWR and Ankeny
> > NWR (though I'm guessing that state- and county-maintained roads through
> > those refuges will remain open).
> >
> > I was surprised to see that the parking area at Tualatin River NWR was
> > still open on Christmas Eve, though the visitor center was closed.
> >
> > For more information on how different federal agencies will be
> > implementing shutdown contingency plans see:
> >

> > https://www.doi.gov/shutdown?fbclid=IwAR06Appvek-foS1y3NcF1W5FL9Rx8PoOCkzV9AQaDtxbLSv0-eOxd0fw77I
> >
> > --
> > Joel Geier
> > Camp Adair area north of Corvallis