Date: 12/26/18 3:03 pm
From: Geoffrey Williamson <geoffrey.williamson.21...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Goshawk at Montrose?
Fran et al.:

I like goshawk as the ID for the two birds Rob mentions. The streaking
goes well down the underparts on each, and the undertail coverts are marked
in both cases.

Geoff Williamson
Chicago (Cook County)
<geoffrey.williamson.21...>

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018, 3:50 PM Fran M <franmmmk...> [ILbirds] <
<ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure photos of this bird circulated somewhere, and it was
> decided this was most likely a Coop, and not a Gos. Both the supercilium
> and tail bands seem better for Coop, but I'd like to hear other opinions.
>
> Fran Morel
> Evanston
>
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 1:06 PM robirdman <robirdman...>
> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

>> Did anyone record sighting one at Montrose on 11/14/2018?
>>
>> In my video compilation of immature Cooper's Hawks at
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLKiczA6gA
>>
>> it was pointed out to me on a nature FB site, that the bird(s) at 0:28
>> -1:06 and 1:06-1:19 are both of immature Goshawk.
>>
>> This did not occur to me at the time. The only one I ever saw before
>> and got shots of was at Lincoln Park Zoo 11/20/2007.
>>
>> I was not very close, as I was shooting, from the revetment, to the
>> trees across the field, and didn't detect it as extra large. And when
>> the bird took off, as another birder had walked past/under,. I am not
>> sure if he even noticed. I had set the camera to record, and was
>> attending to something when it flushed, and would later trim out about
>> 30" of hawk-less branches. I knew when I saw that it was gone, that I
>> would have the takeoff.
>>
>> The back view, when viewed later on the computer did impress me as
>> unusual, but still didn't register as another species.
>>
>> Rob Curtis
>>
>> Chicago
>>
>> www.theearlybirder.com

Join us on Facebook!