Date: 12/26/18 1:49 pm
From: Fran M <franmmmk...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Goshawk at Montrose?
I'm pretty sure photos of this bird circulated somewhere, and it was
decided this was most likely a Coop, and not a Gos. Both the supercilium
and tail bands seem better for Coop, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

Fran Morel
Evanston

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 1:06 PM robirdman <robirdman...>
[ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Did anyone record sighting one at Montrose on 11/14/2018?
>
> In my video compilation of immature Cooper's Hawks at
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLKiczA6gA
>
> it was pointed out to me on a nature FB site, that the bird(s) at 0:28
> -1:06 and 1:06-1:19 are both of immature Goshawk.
>
> This did not occur to me at the time. The only one I ever saw before
> and got shots of was at Lincoln Park Zoo 11/20/2007.
>
> I was not very close, as I was shooting, from the revetment, to the
> trees across the field, and didn't detect it as extra large. And when
> the bird took off, as another birder had walked past/under,. I am not
> sure if he even noticed. I had set the camera to record, and was
> attending to something when it flushed, and would later trim out about
> 30" of hawk-less branches. I knew when I saw that it was gone, that I
> would have the takeoff.
>
> The back view, when viewed later on the computer did impress me as
> unusual, but still didn't register as another species.
>
> Rob Curtis
>
> Chicago
>
> www.theearlybirder.com

Join us on Facebook!