Date: 12/24/18 6:55 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Great Gray Owl breeding territory nearest Portland--Clackamas County
yep. paul sullivan, covering all the bases. no surprises there.

On Monday, December 24, 2018, Tim Janzen <tjanzen...> wrote:
> Dear Bob,
>
> No, that was a different sighting. The sighting you are thinking about
is the one below. I happen to have saved this message in my e-mail files.
There have been a number of reports over the years from the Silver Falls
State Park area.

> Sincerely,
>
> Tim

Sullivan
> Sent: Friday, November 26, 1999 8:50 PM
> To: Multiple recipients of list OBOL
> Subject: Silver Falls St. Pk. -- Gt. Gray Owl, yes. L.Waterthrush, no.
>

> OBOL:
>

> Friday, 11/26/99
>

> It's been a year since the wonderful Louisiana Waterthrush at Silver Falls
>
> St. Pk. Somebody had to look, so I did. The weather was nicer than last
>
> year. The creek is running at torrential force. I didn't find the
bird...

> At 3:40 this afternoon, I finally found the GREAT GRAY OWL which has been
>
> seen in previous years on Silver Ridge Rd. at the west edge of the park.
>
> parked at a gated side road 2.5 mile down Silver Ridge Rd. from its
junction

> with Drift Creek Rd. I walked south about 75 yds to where a large puddle
>
> covers half the road. I saw the bird perched on small D. Firs east of the
>
> road, then hunting, then in the lower branches of several of the large old
>
> D. Firs along the road. I didn't see it get anything.
>

> On the way back toward Salem I saw the BURROWING OWL at a culvert along
>
> 117th Ave., south of Sunnyview Rd. (east of Salem).
>

> I tried for the Barred Owl along Wilhoit Rd. in Clackamas county, but
>
> couldn't pull off the hat trick.
>

> Good birding,
>

> <paul.t.sullivan...>

Behalf Of Robert O'Brien
> Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2018 11:11 PM
> To: Tim Janzen
> Cc: Harry Fuller; OBOL
> Subject: [obol] Re: Great Gray Owl breeding territory nearest
Portland--Clackamas County

> Hi Tim et al. I have a long (& fuzzy) memory as well. What i recall is
that a GGOW was seen over several days along

> an entrance road to Silver Falls State Park one long ago winter. This
was around the same time (not necessarily the same year)

> that an amazing Louisiana Waterthrush was seen in the vicinity. is that
what you're talking about? As you, I have no

> other OBOL memories for Clackamas County.
>

> This would be in the OBOL archives BUT the Oregon Birding Association has
migrated with a new format to

> oregonbirding.org and the old orbirds.org is 'gone'
>
> There is not currently any link to the archives or any mention of OBOL
at all. Perhaps that's coming?

> Google searching for OBOL Archives, I find only recent posts on the ABA
website and no archived posts at all.

> Perhaps someone knows what's going on and where the OBOL archives are or
will reemerge, if at all.

> As to eBird, as has been stated, for this sensitive species there are no
drop shaped 'points' so no specific information

> about this owl is given, only general, fuzzy range areas.
>

> Bob OBrien

Join us on Facebook!