Date: 12/23/18 5:07 pm
From: Jim G via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [VA-bird] Birds in Hopewell and Surrounding Area
Hello VA Birders,

I had a very enjoyable morning covering lots of ground in SE Virginia
(Hopewell, Charles City and Henrico) with Allen Bryan.

Aside from the birds already mentioned by Allen, we managed to see multiple
Hermit Thrushes in the City Point area of Hopewell, and spotted
White-crowned Sparrows at Shirley Plantation (a species that isn't common
on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, where I live year round).

In addition, Allen was kind enough to introduce me to the local "hotspots"
and succeeded in finding me my first Northern Red-tailed Hawk (*Buteo
jamaicensis abieticola, abieticola* meaning "dweller of the firs")

Thanks for a great morning Allen and I hope everyone is enjoying their own
holiday birding expeditions.

Jim Gould
Southern Shores, NC
(Mom lives in Hopewell, VA)