Date: 12/22/18 11:14 pm
From: Courtney Kelly Jett <ckjannabirds...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Port Orford CBC results 12/22/2018 + RED FOX SPARROW
Tim sent his email too soon!
— “and last but not least” —

In addition to our ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK
and many other good birds today,

Lars Norgren found me a new (someday) *Life Bird* :

a RED FOX SPARROW ,

a sweet solstice gift :-)

thanks Lars !

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50871933

***
Unfortunately I don’t seem able to look this subspecies up in ebird species bar charts?
How Rare is it, in Oregon?

Courtney Kelly Jett, Bend, Oregon
Sent from a phone that is all brevity, no wit
Sent from a phone low on wits, high on bits

> On Dec 22, 2018, at 9:52 PM, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:
>
> Well today certainly ranks as one of the highest species tallies ever on this small (people-wise) count. There we 17 today which I believe would be a few above average ( I recently inherited this count from Jim Rogers who started it about 40 year ago- talk about longevity for CBC compilers!!). The weather was predicted to be rain and wind after 10AM. Observers were ready for "pirate" birding weather, but hey, the dark skies at dawn lent to sunshine and above 50F temps with no rain until 4PM when most were already headed to the most awesomely, comfortable countdown dinner with the wood stove fired-up and homemade dinner treats ready for all (thanks everyone- especially Ann and Tim and Carrie)!
>
> A total of 144 species were observed- the record only being 145 for this count- we were close! If this tiny count every had 20 participants including a few more experienced birders and good CBC weather, it might break 150 one day? The count circle habitat is totally unique- nothing like it in Oregon. See what I am talking about in the following bird highlights from today/s CBC:
>
> Unusual bird highlights- in no particular order other than what was reported to me during our countdown:
> Rock Pigeon (!)- hah, funny a rare bird in Port Orford- may it long be rare!
> Cedar Waxwing (seen in PO and Langlois- tough on the coast most winters)
> a female ROSE-BREASTED-GROSBEAK (probably a first count record, great find Lars and Courtney) - in Langlois the circle hotspot outside of the private ranch lands
> Clay-colored Sparrow (coming to Jim and Carrie Roger's feeder)
> Brant- just one, rare down this far south
> SANDHILL CRANE- on a ranch west of Langlois- great find Terry!
> Cinnamon Teal (yet another Terry find)
> BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE- one we have all wondered about but few have seen in Curry. Only one sighting in Oct. and one in Nov. Today Jim Roger's just happened to bump into a local rancher whose land is not open to public access. The bird has been here for months! Was also there today- amazing! The bird of the count although it is tough to choose between all the great ones- most out-of-towners would say, yawn ho-hum, south coasters are thinking bird of their year/decade even!
> 2- Snow Geese
> 1- Trumpeter Swan (very rare in Curry)
> 1- Harris's Sparrow
> 1- Dusky Fly (we all know about this bird I think...)
> 2- OC Warblers (use to be rare but have more knowledgeable birders to find them)
> 4- Red Phalarope- seen by very experienced sea watchers which actually sat down on the ocean in front of them. I wonder how many counts in OR will have this species this year?
> -One Selasphorus (Rufous/Allens) female looking sp. in Langlois at a house with 30+ Anna's at the feeders.
> 1- Golden Eagle- rare on the ocean plane- seen well by me.
>
> Other regulars:
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!