Date: 12/21/18 11:34 am
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake Calumet area (Cook Co., 12-20-18)
I visited a number of locations in the Lake Calumet area (SE Chicago & adjacent suburbs) on Thursday (20 December 2018). The big rivers were wide open, and the smaller ponds were either open or half open, half iced-over. I had quite a few surprises, including a BONAPARTE'S GULL, an AMERICAN WIGEON, and a NORTHERN PINTAIL. I had five gull species total (six different forms). Amazingly, Harborside Golf Course was open (it's never open in December!) and it was full of ducks. Highlights follow:

Indian Ridge Marshes:  Extensive mud flats (but no shorebirds); 8 GADWALL; 1 AM. BLACK DUCK, 1 GREAT BLUE HERON; 1,200 EUROPEAN STARLINGS; 1 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW.
Stony Island Landfills:  1 adult (KUMLIEN'S) ICELAND GULL; 700 HERRING GULLS.
Deadstick Pond:  30 GADWALL, 4 HOODED MERGANSERS; 26 RING-NECKED DUCKS, 1 1st-cycle (THAYER'S) ICELAND GULL (on roof).
Big Marsh:  5 MUTE SWANS; 121 GADWALL; 4 HOODED MERGANSERS; 1 BONAPARTE'S GULL; 1 GREAT BLUE HERON; 1 BELTED KINGFISHER.
Harborside Golf Course:  50 GADWALL; 1 AMERICAN WIGEON; 9 CANVASBACKS; 122 REDHEADS; 5 GREATER SCAUP; 225 LESSER SCAUP; all 3 mergansers; 320 HERRING GULLS; 1 adult (KUMLIEN'S) ICELAND GULL (likely the same bird from Stony Landfills); 1 imm. GREAT-BLACK-BACKED GULL.
Hegewisch Marsh:  8 GADWALL; 1 NORTHERN PINTAIL; 7 MONK PARAKEETS.

Walter Marcisz
Chicago, Cook Co.

Posted by: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...>

<*> Your email settings: