Date: 12/20/18 11:44 am
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Cattle Egret / Intermediate Egret
Ive spent about a cumulative year birding India and a good part of that was
spent trying to get egrets (and cormorants) to species. The finer field
marks of dark tipped bill and shorter gape line were ones that I eventually
gave up on in favor of overall proportions, which are much more reliable
when you get the hang of them.

I'm rusty, as I haven't been back in 18 months, but in India I would've
called this bird an intermediate based on bill alone. Of course, I would be
more careful with this bird in Oregon, and hope for some better photos,
particularly with neck outstretched next to a similarly posed great egret,
which is usually all you need. As of now the gape line and bill color favor
great, but giss outweighs that in favor of intermediate.

I've attached some crops of the putative intermediate (from Courtney and
Eric, photos 1 and 4), a confirmed intermediate (photo 2), and a great
egret (photo 3). I'm also reaching out to some friends in India in case
I've lost my egret eyes.

Hope it sticks around long enough for me to go see it!

Good birding,
Brodie

Join us on Facebook!