Date: 12/20/18 10:22 am
From: Sally Hill <1sallyhill.9...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Cattle Egret / Intermediate Egret
For clarification: Is it only Eric's photos that this person reviewed or
is it some combination of Sylvia's and Pam's and Eric's? My Birds of
Australia, (Pizzey and Knight) suggest that the Intermediate Egret is
smaller and daintier than GREG with extended head and neck about equal to
body length, head rounder, bill shorter and deeper and line of gape to just
below eye , not past it as in GREG. When hunting peers with neck extended
and stirs with foot. Flies with quicker wind beats than GREG. This
reference fails to mention anything about a black tip on the bill. If your
expert has any additional ID tips it would be helpful to know.

Sally Hill
Eugene Oregon

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:20 AM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2018, at 2:50 PM, Eric Carlson <carl8630...> wrote:
>
> I have photos of the slightly smaller looking Great Egret on my ebird
> checklist if anyone is interested in looking at them.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50700675
>
> Bird up,
>
> ERIC
>

> See:
>
> https://ebonph.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/ask-the-experts-2/
>

> Hello Eric and all:
>
> A very seasoned Asian birding expert sent me an email suggesting that the
> bird looks right for an Intermediate Egret. I can’t be sure if there is or
> isn’t a dark tip to the bill into photos. As Dave Irons wrote,
> Intermediate Egrets usually have a dark tipped bill, but apparently not
> always.
>
> I hope someone gets sharper photos. I also hope no one does, because if
> it is an Intermediate Egret, I don’t want to fly back to Oregon from Tucson
> for it (like I have for two other birds in past years).
>
> Great Egrets do of course vary in size based on sex, and somewhat so by
> individual.
>
> Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!