Date: 12/6/18 2:54 pm
From: Carl Bendorf <carlbendorf...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Thoughts on rare bird communications - a conversation starter and a suggestion
Hi Ross,

Couple of thoughts. First, regarding passwords, I would think you would at
least want to be signed into your Facebook account to be able to view (and
comment) on this new Colorado Rare Bird Alert page. But you should be able
to sign in to Facebook just once and be able to remain signed-in between
sessions so you don't have to enter a password and sign in every time.

For finding bird-related groups, once you are signed-in on Facebook, I
think you just need to use the general search box found at the top of every
page in Facebook. For example, typing "rare bird alert" showed me maybe 50
different groups with "rare bird alert" in the group's name. Entering some
related search terms might yield additional groups. Then, every group can
have its own parameters such as whether they are an open group or one where
you need to request to join, and so on. I tried "Nebraska Rare Bird Alert"
and nothing came up but searching for "Nebraska Birding" showed me a group
with a 1,000 members of which I suspect you are one!

The other thing in Facebook is that you might have friends on Facebook who
will invite you to join various bird-related groups. Finally, I seem to
get suggestions from Facebook for groups that might be of interest based, I
would guess, on how many of my Facebook friends also belong to those groups.

Hope all this helps; feel free to email me directly if I can be of more
help.

Cheers,

Carl