Date: 12/6/18 3:23 am
From: 'Allison Hilf' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Gyrfalcon; Do we want an RBA???
I totally understand the sensitivity of a Gyrfalcon sighting, and consider it like an owl. I agree with Andy and others that it should not be publicly shared. I wish it would never have been reported and this discussion never happened.

My comment was meant to be about the more general issue where most of the more experienced CObirders no longer report any rare bird sightings to CObirds or to the RBA.

I was ready to commit a considerable amount of time and effort into helping Joe and others keep the RBA going after Joyce retires at the end of the year. I’m now having serious doubts, as so few experienced Birders take the time to report ANY rare findings to CObirds.

I don’t list and no longer chase anything but a lifer (Gyrfalcon is NOT a lifer; I had no interest in chasing the bird). I help beginning Birders and spend my time analyzing bird behaviors - we all bird differently.

I apologize if I came across critical of competitive listers; we can all agree to enjoy birding differently. But do listers want to share sightings? If so, is COBirds the place to do it, and are people willing to report sightings to CObirds? Otherwise, why should we spend considerable time and effort on compiling an RBA???

Please respond; as I need to know if anyone sincerely wants the RBA to continue.

Thank you,
Allison Hilf
Aurora, CO

Sent from my iPhone