Date: 12/6/18 3:05 am
From: Will Chatfield-Taylor <wchatfieldtaylor...>
Subject: [BIRDWG01] Possible Little Stint
Hi all,

I'd like your opinions on this peep I saw in Jacksonville, FL yesterday
(December 4, 2018). The most common species this time of year is Western
Sandpiper (and it probably is one), but this bird looked distinctly
different than others I've seen there lately. The color is much warmer,
almost buffish brown instead of the cold grays I've been seeing for the
last month or two. I couldn't get a sense of the toes until I checked my
photos, but they appear unwebbed.

The feather centers are dark and don't just have the dark central shafts.
Combined with what *appears* to be a lack of webbing in the toes makes me
wonder if this is a Little Stint. If the the toes are indeed unwebbed as
the photos seem to show, then it ought to be a European Stint species, and
the dark centers to the coverets should eliminate Red-necked Stint, as
should the bill. The bill is curved a bit, but it doesn't have that thin,
drooping tip of a Western. With the sexual dimorphism in bill lengths in
peeps, that may not mean much though. I added a photo of a Western that we
get in Florida for comparison. The gizz and details all seem different.

One feature that doesn't seem present (though it seems pretty variable and
I'm not exactly sure how prominent it is supposed to be), is the split
supercillium.

The photos are on the ebird checklist.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50423900

Thanks as always