Date: 12/6/18 2:19 am
From: 'Andrew Clemens' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Sandhill Cranes
Phil Davis,
I am sorry that you had a bad experience.  But this is not about birders vs photographers.   It is about people having basic respect for others and for birds.  You do NOT walk across someone's property without express permission.   I don't care if you are taking pictures, looking with bins or a scope or just looking.
Andrew
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 5:43:20 PM EST, Phil Davis <pdavis...> wrote:

Arrrgggg ... this really invokes terrible memories  ...

Years ago there was a Common Crane being seen
with a family of Sandhills in NE Illinois. The
bird had been there about a week, but I couldn't
chase it until the weekend (ah, the curse of the
[then] working class!). So, come Saturday,
Barbara and I caught a early morning BWI flight
to Midway Airport, rented a car, and took off on
the 1 hour drive to NW Illinois. Yes, we had left
home early and, yes, we had not eaten breakfast
(you can see this coming, right?) So, we stopped
at a diner and grabbed a quick bite. Onward to
where the bird was being seen. We got to the
location and didn't see anyone around. Hmmmm ...
A car with an obvious birder came by and we asked
about the status. Well, it seems that the bird
were last seen about 30 minutes ago. The family
group of Sandhills and the Common Crane walked
over a berm and down out of sight. A
"photographer" decided to go over the hill to
take a photo and spooked them. They took flight
and that was the last time they were seen there.

Grrrrr .... Déjà vu all over again ...

The lesson learned is obvious - don't stop to eat ... or drink ... or pee ...

But, the visions of the huge Sandhill Crane
flocks coming in for landings over the fields in
the reddish evening light with their "landing
gears" down was a saving grace and an indelible memory.

Phil