Date: 12/4/18 2:43 pm
From: George Neavoll <gneavoll...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Re: Most Undercover Rarity?
I may have seen one bounding across the east-side road at Mount Tabor on April 14, 2017. It was “as light (as) or even lighter than the Winter Wrens I’ve known in Maine,” I reported on OBOL at the time. I concluded it was as a very light-colored Pacific Wren, but I since have wondered.

George Neavoll
S.W. Portland

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman...>
> Subject: [obol] Re: Most Undercover Rarity?
> Date: December 4, 2018 at 2:19:25 PM PST
> To: "Matt Cahill" <matt.c.cahill...>, "" <obol...>
>
> Winter Wren
>
> Wayne
>> On 12/4/2018 5:09:57 PM, Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A potentially fun follow-up on rarities might be: thoughts on the most likely rarity that is already here and we all keep missing it?
>>
>> I had an enjoyable though frantic trip through northwest Oregon this weekend to take advantage of all the goodies and the good weather (and skip some early Bend winter slop). While watching the bluebirds I had to research field marks, and I've seen thousands and thousands of bluebirds! I'll admit I can't recall once thinking through what makes an eastern an eastern while in Oregon. Since females and juveniles might easily pass for mountains or westerns, I wonder how many eastern bluebirds have flitted through the state right under our collective nose.
>>
>> So what else is out there undercover? I did not double-check that the rock sandpiper I watched in Seaside wasn't a purple sandpiper. Or that house sparrow flocks didn't contain a Eurasian tree sparrow. What about a female cowbird with a dull reddish eye? A flicker just a little too gilded?
>>
>> I don't have a good enough grasp on what has been seen in Oregon over the years, or what the likely next finds are. But given the whole spread of ages and plumages to consider, I'm wondering what species isn't on the state list but is hopping around some park or beach right now, and maybe has been for years.
>>

>> Matt Cahill
>>
>> Bend

Join us on Facebook!