Date: 12/4/18 2:14 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Most Undercover Rarity?
I was thinking the same thing. Field Sparrow and especially Nelson’s Sparrow are good candidates because they have multiple records to our southwest (esp Nelson’s) and they are small and easy to not find. Black-tailed Gull, especially in subadult plumage.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Dec 4, 2018, at 2:08 PM, Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> A potentially fun follow-up on rarities might be: thoughts on the most likely rarity that is already here and we all keep missing it?
>
> I had an enjoyable though frantic trip through northwest Oregon this weekend to take advantage of all the goodies and the good weather (and skip some early Bend winter slop). While watching the bluebirds I had to research field marks, and I've seen thousands and thousands of bluebirds! I'll admit I can't recall once thinking through what makes an eastern an eastern while in Oregon. Since females and juveniles might easily pass for mountains or westerns, I wonder how many eastern bluebirds have flitted through the state right under our collective nose.
>
> So what else is out there undercover? I did not double-check that the rock sandpiper I watched in Seaside wasn't a purple sandpiper. Or that house sparrow flocks didn't contain a Eurasian tree sparrow. What about a female cowbird with a dull reddish eye? A flicker just a little too gilded?
>
> I don't have a good enough grasp on what has been seen in Oregon over the years, or what the likely next finds are. But given the whole spread of ages and plumages to consider, I'm wondering what species isn't on the state list but is hopping around some park or beach right now, and maybe has been for years.
>

> Matt Cahill
>
> Bend

Join us on Facebook!