Date: 12/4/18 12:44 pm From: Nicholas Komar <quetzal65...> Subject: Re: [cobirds] Gyrfalcon in Southern Fort Collins, Larimer County
Some comments on the Gyrfalcon search:
1. If you visit the Larimer County landfill be sure to check in at one of the pay windows (or the main office) and follow instructions for parking from landfill employees. The gyr was first seen chasing gulls and perched on a telephone pole yesterday afternoon around 3:30 pm.
2. Trilby Road (dirt road west from Taft Hill Road) is a safe vantage-point to survey the grassland habitat and the landfill one mile north. The gyr came and landed atop the tall rusty power line poles twice between 7 and 7:30 this morning.
3. Taft Hill Rd is unsafe to park on, or even to drive slowly. Vehicle and truck traffic move at 70 mph on this two lane road.
4. Hidden Springs road west of the landfill is a private gated community.
5. I think another place to search would be the south end of Horsetooth Reservoir (where the landfill gulls go to loaf during the day). It is only a mile away from the landfill as the crow flies , and has more tall metal poles that could serve as perch. To get there drive north past landfill and turn left on Harmony Road. To access the Reservoir recreational area a fee is required. There are some free roadside pullouts as well.
Fort Collins CO
> On Dec 4, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Carl Bendorf <carlbendorf...> wrote:
> No falcon as of 11:20 at landfill.
> Carl Bendorf
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+<unsubscribe...>
> To post to this group, send email to <cobirds...>
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<2d2afd44-30ec-4cfe-807b-2511ed237b52...> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.