Date: 12/2/18 3:05 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: More on Common Eider
Hi -

I have downloaded and examined my eider photos from Fort Fisher this afternoon.  They are not great, but not quite as bad as I had feared, and IMO they confirm my initial ID as Common Eider.  I was able to see quite  bit of head detaik, including a long grey bill extension up in front of the eye (too long for King, and consistent with Atlantic Common, per Sibley's illustrations.  The photos also confirm the white axillaries, and show a head shape that is kind of long for King.

Two questions: 1. How regular/rare are eiders in the Carolinas?, and 2. Are there good online references that will allow me to answer questions like this myself?

Wayne Hoffman
Wilmington NC

Join us on Facebook!