Date: 12/1/18 12:00 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Strange Grebe
Well, it's the battle of the photos.
The photo from here:
http://animalia-life.club/other/western-grebe-baby.html
(23rd counting left to right top to bottom is of a subadult western grebe)
is an about 1/2 grown Western.

The attached is an overlay of Nagi's and Greg's photos, size adjusted.
Note the difference not in length (could be accounted for by age) but in
shape.
Western is long, narrow and very pointed. But Horned is proportionately
thicker and more rounded (blunt) at the end.
The shape shown by Nagi's is consistent with Jeff's photo as well, although
the bill is shorter due to juvenility.

Bob OBrien

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 10:15 AM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
wrote:

> I know this is a photo of a Western Grebe that accentuates the bill
> length, but I think it is a good illustration of how long and thin their
> bills are:
> http://www.birdspix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Western-Grebe-575-cr.jpg
>
> Here is a Horned Grebe with a fairly yellow bill:
> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x29Pef-T4FQ/SBDMpa7vuFI/AAAAAAAAELc/Gwt8kcorI0k/s400/MN07+horned+grebe+100_8675.jpg
>
> Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!