Date: 11/29/18 2:17 pm
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dharma Center Bluebirds and a request from OBOL members
Well said, David. Where there is a choice to be made between getting a good photo and not disturbing/harassing the bird (or other wildlife creature), the latter should always win out.

A good reference for ethical bird photography is at https://www.audubon.org/get-outside/audubons-guide-ethical-bird-photography . It can also be generalized readily to be applicable to general wildlife photography, not just birds.

Nagi
On Nov 29, 2018, 1:43 PM -0800, David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>, wrote:
> The photographer as described was extremely selfish to approach a stakeout so closely. If the birds are harassed they could find s new sight and many hopeful birders may lose out on a memorable twitch. Unfortunately, this happens often with overzealous photographers and stakeout bird, especially the charismatic species like Snowy Owls and of course bluebirds. Sometimes these folks are birders/twitches and sometimes they are more hobbies photographers. Either way, shame on them.
>
> David C. Bailey
> Seaside Oregon
>

> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2018, 13:22 Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...> wrote:
> > > OBOLers,
> > >
> > > I made the pilgrimage to see the Eastern Bluebirds this morning.  After a half hour wait, they magically appeared (~!!:30) in their usual hover hunting behavior close to the "yellow tree" to the west of the Dharma Center parking lot.  Thanks to those who have posted directions and tips for seeing these birds.
> > >
> > > While I was there, several birders mentioned to me that the bluebirds had been in the field before I arrived but were no longer there due to a photographer who had walked out into the field with his long camo covered lens and was sitting on the ground next to the "pond" waiting for the birds to return.  If he was trying to stay camouflaged, it didn't work since he wore a bright yellow jacket.  I had a problem with this for several reasons:
> > >
> > > 1.) Walking out into the field where there were no trails.  I thought this was Dharma Center property.
> > > 2.) Positioning oneself right next to where the bluebirds were known to favor.
> > >
> > > I took a recognizable photo of the photographer.  When the bluebirds did return, the photographer increased his height so he could get more photographs.  This reduced the amount of time that the bluebirds stayed at the location.  Within about 5 minutes, the bluebirds left again.
> > >
> > > Question for the OBOL community:
> > >
> > > 1.) Should I publicly shame this photographer for his behavior (encroaching on the bluebirds and walking out in the field) and post a photo of him to OBOL.*
> > > 2.) Should I forget it and move on.
> > >
> > > * given that OBOL or OBA has a regular photo contest, I don't want this photographer to get credit for a great photo given what he did to get it.
> > >
> > > Please e-mail me privately with your feedback.
> > >
> > > I know that the bluebirds have been returning to this location and may have been here for two months and may well stay here for the entire winter.  I don't think this means that its ok for people to walk out into the field to get a photograph which may adversely affect the movements and feeding habits of these birds.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your patience in reading this and I appreciate your feedback.
> > >
> > > Keep your eyes and ears skyward.
> > >
> > > Jim
> > > --
> > > Jim Danzenbaker
> [...]