Date: 11/28/18 7:25 am
Subject: Re: [External] Re: eBird Report - Mayo Lake--High Plains Rd., Dec 3, 2014
Folks
I agree with Harry, and I am as guilty as many folks about just adding a
couple of lines and a photo on e-bird as evidence to a rare sighting. As a
member of the NC Records Committee I feel it's important for folks to
submit a full report with photos if possible. The best method is to imagine
that you are the only person to have seen the individual and submit as many
details as you can recall. Don't rely on others to do it.
I recall reports in the past that were so bad we did not accept them,
although we knew the bird was present - we can only vote on the information
submitted!
As a side note, I have just added some 1983 birdlists to e-bird, from an
October trip to the Isles of Scilly off Cornwall in England. While I did
not have photos of the Red-eyed Vireo, American Redstart and Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, I had sketches and field descriptions (not that great!) from a
field notebook. I just took photos of the pages and inserted them into
e-bird!!
It's always good practice to sketch and write a description as it helps
learn the plumage characteristics of birds.
Simon

Simon RB Thompson

Ventures Birding Tours
www.birdventures.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.birdventures.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=5WGcYa2PFYObWPtPOpfqAYghcPFlGuW_bFCzB03ftdw&s=A-tWIIIV7pVOCnIt3b9kVRx7Btg4d-a3oY4CUCgId_s&e=>

Please use the Ventures e-mail (<Venturesbirding...>) to contact the
Ventures office - thanks!

Join us on Facebook!