Date: 11/28/18 7:03 am
Subject: Re: [External] Re: eBird Report - Mayo Lake--High Plains Rd., Dec 3, 2014
When I was Chair of the North Carolina Bird Records Committee, we didn't
even HAVE eBird reports! But, I can reasonably say, an eBird report would
be fine, as long as:
1) there is at least one photograph that is identifiable, and/or
2) thorough written description, with key field marks.

Most eBird reports that I see of a very rare bird tend to be skimpy on
written material (like on the Barrow's Goldeneye report), such that an BRC
might not have enough to judge the report's validity. However, many
folks DO provide excellent photos on their eBird reports, even of common
birds. Some folks DO provide quite lengthy written details/description
there, for the simple reason that he or she wants to make sure the eBird
reviewer accepts his or her record into the eBird database. I would!

A Rare Bird Report form, found on the Carolina Bird Club website, is always
preferred for providing the written material (if needed) for any rare
report. Typically, the Chair will request an observer of a very rare bird
to fill out such a form, which is done online and submitted to the CBC
website editor (Kent Fiala) and is transferred to the Chairs of the NC or
SC committees.

So -- by no means does a BRC "restrict" voting to Rare Bird Report forms.
Nor is a Rare Bird Report form necessary for a vote. Often, a single
photo or two, such as submitted to the CBC Photo Gallery, is sufficient, as
long as the photographer, date, location, etc., are provided.

Harry LeGrand
NC Bird Records Committee non-voting member (and former Chair)

Join us on Facebook!