Date: 11/28/18 4:47 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Bean Goose help
Several people with more knowledge that I have commented on the Bean Goose.
The resulting discussion has been confusing.

I understand that there are Tundra and Taiga Bean Geese. The AOS splits
them, but the Europeans do not. (I think)

There has been mention of a reference, Reeber, but no name for the
book/article.

Mike Patterson posted a fairly clear discussion.

I have Madge and Brun's 1988 book, Waterfowl, Houghton Mifflin, which
predates some of the recent research.

So HELP ME SORT THIS OUT:

What are the English names to go with the following subspecies?

Which are tundra? Which Taiga?

- fabilis

- johanseni

- middendorffii - largest, most eastern

- serrirostris

- rossicus - small, short bill

I grasp ideas when I'm given a table. I don't get it when folks ramble on
in prose, skipping back and forth between English and Latin names for the
same thing, as if the reader knew which ones correspond to which.

Thank you,

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!