Date: 11/24/18 6:41 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Cassins auklet - Local wildlife centers
Dominick and Larreta, In the moment I just wanted to get this bird away from the dogs and masses of gulls. The waves were big and relentless and there was no way it was getting back out on its own today.
Releasing a stranded bird from the ocean into calmer body of water is a way to give it a fighting chance. I’ve known people who’ve done it successfully with grebes and loons for example.
I do not subscribe to the practice of intensive rehab for wild animals succumbing to their natural environment.
In fact nursing these unfit animals back to health so they can breed weakens the gene pool.
The sad fact is naturally stranding birds and marine mammals are meant to die.
Interestingly, there is a lot of food (small anchovies) right there off shore. It’s possible it was lured inshore by abundant food and then was overwhelmed by the surf.
Make no mistake though, I really hope this particular Cassin’s Auklet does go on to survive and breed.

> On Nov 24, 2018, at 5:17 PM, Loretta <lchen89...> wrote:
>
> Hi Josiah,
>
> Sorry I'm just seeing this now, but FYI, the Wildlife Center w/the Peninsula Humane Society would happily take in any orphaned, sick, or injured wildlife that you find. I volunteer there and can tell you that if they can do anything to help an animal, they will.
>
> If they aren't set up to care for that particular animal, they'll transfer it elsewhere, e.g. International Bird Rescue or the Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley.
>
> If you are in the city and you can't bring the animal to the facility, you can call Animal Control, who will do their best to capture/transport the animal to a center.
>
> Some numbers and addresses (from their webpage above):
>
> PHS/SPCA Wildlife Care Center: 1450 Rollins Rd, Burlingame (650-340-7022)
> Palo Alto Animal Services: 3281 E. Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto (650-329-2413)
> Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley: 3027 Penitencia Creek Rd, San Jose (408-929-9453)
> San Francisco Animal Care & Control: 1200 15th St, San Francisco (415-554-6364)
>
> Thanks and happy birding!
>
> Lorētta Chen
>

> On Saturday, November 24, 2018, 12:44:32 PM PST, Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> wrote:
>

> Just picked up an exhausted Cassins auklet at Pacheco Street. It’s with me in the car now, I’m about to release it at Sutro baths so long as there aren’t too many gulls. Otherwise thinking over by Crissy Field. If any burgers are around and want to see it come by or p.m. me. I am about to meet Cedric at Lawton Street right now.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!