Date: 11/23/18 9:42 pm
From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Harlan or not?
Yep, dark morph Roughleg. In addition to points others have made a few
things to note:
-- whitish nape spot is good for roughies
-- ditto the whitish forehead and lores
-- the wingtips are a little longer than the end of the tail (redtail's
wings don't reach the end of the tail)
-- and lastly-- look where this bird is perched... way out in the flimsy
twigs of this tree. This is a known habit for roughlegs most buteos prefer
more robust perch sites.
good birding, Tom

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, 9:12 PM Craig Miller <gismiller...> wrote:

> Nagi and all,
>
> I agree with Hendrik that this is most likely a dark morph Rough-legged
> Hawk. A black wrist mark, typical on Rough-legged Hawk, is just visible on
> the underwing in flight in the 4th photo. The lack of any white speckling
> on the back tends to rule against Red-tailed Hawk subspecies. In the last
> two photos, a very dark band along the tip of the tail contrasts with a
> slightly lighter tail proximally, ruling out dark morph Ferruginous Hawk,
> and also not so good for Harlan's Hawk. Dark morph hawks can truly be a
> challenge!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Craig Miller
> Bend, Oregon
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 8:26 PM Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All -
>>
>> While sifting through the many dozens of Red-tailed Hawks that we saw
>> today at Lower Klamath NWR, one stood out as a possible Harlan candidate.
>> Some aspects seem to point to Harlan, while others cast some doubt on that
>> proposition.
>>
>> Pro-Harlan aspects:
>>
>> - Solid dark brown, except for a little bit of white on/near head and
>> around nose.
>> - No rufous coloration anywhere
>> - Tail feathers were solid dark brown and vent area was white or
>> light buff
>>
>> Anti-Harlan aspects:
>>
>> - Lack of white tail - some references say Harlan’s can have dark
>> tails, others insist on the white tail?
>>
>> Photos of dark-morph Harlan’s were hard to find online, so we were unable
>> to compare our bird’s photos.
>>
>> Anyways, looking for comments/thoughts regarding this bird. A couple of
>> photos attached below.
>>
>> Lastly - regardless of Harlan or not - what a beauty of a bird!
>>
>> Good birding,
>>
>> Nagi & Taghrid

Join us on Facebook!