Date: 11/21/18 8:09 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Yellow-billed Loon pictures - Nehalem River estuary, Tillamook
Hey, I was mistaken twice, it could happen again.

Perhaps I should have said that YBs are certainly willing to winter in shallow areas, which in my experience is less true of Pacific and RT. One wintered largely in the Florence boat basin, which is generally loonless.

YB has certainly wintered, at least for a while, in deep inland sites too, e.g. Wallowa and Dexter lakes.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Nov 21, 2018, at 6:24 AM, Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:
>
> Hi-
>
> I have to disagree with Alan (always risky).
>
> I suspect that most of the Pacific population of Yellow-billed Loons winter to the north of us, but out on the continental shelf. The first ones I ever saw were several miles off the sw end of Kodiak in early Nov. 1975.
>
> 10+ years ago, while Greg Gillson was still here, we found one a few miles off Yaquina Head near the end of a spring pelagic trip.
> I think it was early May. Greg or Tim can probably come up with the date. Anyway, my photos of it showed heavy wing molt and I think it was flightless.
>
> We find birds where we look, not necessarily where they are most common.
>
> Wayne - traveling thru east Texas.

Join us on Facebook!