Date: 11/20/18 6:24 pm
From: Jon King <jonking271...>
Subject: Re: Evening Grosbeaks on the move
Hello all,

Of particular interest here is that the Evening Grosbeak has multiple call
types much like the Red Crossbill, each with specific geography. That means
recording any Evening Grosbeak you come across, even with just your
smartphone, can hint at where Kansas’ birds come from. Here is a map
showing where the call types come from.

http://blog.aba.org/2012/12/five-species-of-evening-grosbeakslets-find-out-together.html

I suspect that Kansas’ come from both the boreal and montane populations,
but I have not spent much time looking at that issue. In recent years it
seems that many of the singleton reports from feeders have come from the
central and western counties, and not the east where there are far more
feeders and people looking. That makes me wonder about a western origin for
these. At the same time the big invasions in decades past (1960s, 1970s)
that featured dozens in the eastern counties have come at a time when
eastern populations peaked. The frequency of eastern Kansas reports has
likewise declined alongside the massive reduction in numbers reaching
states further east. I read an article somewhere suggesting this species
rise and fall in the east is related to Spruce Budworm population trends in
the eastern boreal forest. That bit Chuck mentions about a bird banded
traveling between Pennsylvania and Kansas also suggests involvement of
eastern birds.

Per eBird, it does look like the southern Rocky Mountain type reaches the
southern plains. See below ...

https://ebird.org/map/evegro4?neg=true&env.minX=-106.84716658503612&env.minY=11.613060587054903&env.maxX=-72.13036971003612&env.maxY=57.37606692029564&zh=true&gp=true&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2018

In ending my post here I will say that my reasoning is speculative and I
have not spent time researching this recently, so I could be off. Anyone
with a different understanding is encouraged to share.

Jon King
Lawrence, KS

Join us on Facebook!