Date: 11/19/18 1:28 pm
From: janna pauser <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] rails Guadalupe River trail
I hadn't birded the Guadalupe River trail north of Coleman since
September. To my surprise the water level was high enough to support
rails north of the Coleman bridge. A SORA was foraging in the open with
more heard. A VIRGINIA RAIL briefly confronted the Sora then
disappeared. MARSH WREN, AM. GOLDFINCH, 3 GREEN HERON, CEDAR WAXWINGS, 2
NORTHERN FLICKER, PURPLE FINCH, LINCOLN'S SPARROWS and a RED BREASTED
SAPSUCKER were other highlights. On my return a MERLIN perched atop the
tallest tree near Almaden Exp. took off after a House Finch and never
even got close. Approximately 100 CANADA GEESE flew past on their way to
Almaden Lake and 5 GREAT TAILED GRACKLE were back in the cattails.

Janna Pauser
San Jose