Date: 11/18/18 6:45 pm
From: Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Seawatch -- Horned Lark et al., 11/18/18
With just a bit of clearer air and swing-around of winds (light SW) for a few hours, I did a midday seawatch (12-1:30 PM) from the south end of the Great Highway.

The highlight was not a seabird -- around 1 PM a calling HORNED LARK flew past me heading N over the beach. For a moment it looked like it would land on the sand but it kept flying N until out of view.

Hundreds of gulls were on the move N and on the ocean, mostly California Gulls, as well as good numbers of Mew Gulls, and small numbers of Western, Glaucous-winged (3), Herring (2), and Heermann's (4) Gulls. There were also several big pulses of loons flying N.

Other observations of local interest:

N. SHOVELER 8 (single flock landed on the ocean for a bit, then flew N)

Greater Scaup 12 (single flock flying S)

Surf Scoter 38

Common Loon 8

Pacific Loon 120+ (most flying N)

Red-thr. Loon 350+ (most flying N)