Date: 11/17/18 7:25 pm
From: Mike Grant <mikecurlew...>
Subject: St. Louis Audubon field trip, Saturday, November 17 - Trip Report
On a beautiful day 18 birders explored Riverlands looking for winter birds. We were not disappointed with a Long-tailed Duck that had been reported the day before being right in front of us in Teal Pond. It really couldn’t have been closer or in better light. Teal Pond also held Hooded Mergansers, Gadwall, Canada Geese, a couple of Snow Geese and quite a few Ring-billed Gulls.

We drove to the spillway to work our way west with the sun behind us.

Ellis Bay had lots of Ring-billed Gulls on the spillway end. Closer to Heron Pond (which was full of vegetation) is where the ducks, geese, swans, eagles and shorebirds were.

We had all three mergansers, a Ruddy Duck, a few Northern Shovelers, Lesser Scaup, Northern Pintails, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, fair numbers of Canvasbacks and scads of Mallards. The only shorebirds found here were a half-dozen Dunlin and a couple of Killdeer. In the bright sunshine we were able to see the yellow spot on some of the Tundra Swans.

The American Black Ducks were seen in Ellis Bay from the trail in front of the Center. That is also where we had the Savannah Sparrows. The Horned Grebes were along the riprap on the road from the gas station to the Ellis Island trail parking lot.

eBird checklist at: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49997260

Thank you to Dick Palmer for helping with bird finding and ID. And also to Bill Rowe who was working with a couple of young birders and joining us at critical times. He found a few more shorebirds in a lagoon seen from the levee that goes out from the turn down to the dam.

It seems that I do not have the eBird IDs of the people that asked me to share the checklist with them so please send it to me.

The next SLAS field trip will be at Watershed Nature Center, northwest of Edwardsville, IL, on Dec 8.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO

<mikecurlew...>