Date: 11/17/18 6:48 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Lane Coast Today--Four Swamp Sparrows and others
My only addition is that unlike my last trip to Florence, Anna’s hummers were relatively few, maybe ten all day under very favorable conditions. We were not in “town” spaces as much, but even so the hummer action was limited.

We saw ten Lincoln’s Sparrows in less than an hour in an area that had nine on last year’s Florence CBC, a number that at the time was an all-time count record. This late in the season I expect they will stay put, as will the four Swamps, perhaps a record number for one site in the Siuslaw valley.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Nov 17, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Caleb Centanni <caleb...> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Alan Contreras, Nolan Clements, and I birded the Lane Coast from the Siuslaw River north to Bob Creek Wayside today. Highlights were a pair of LONG-TAILED DUCKS at the Siuslaw River South Jetty plus a third at Tokatee-Klootchman State Park, one latish HEERMANN'S GULL at Stonefield Beach, an even later OSPREY soaring over the Siuslaw River just west of Cushman, and very good marsh sparrow numbers on private land near Cushman, including TEN Lincoln's Sparrow and a surprising FOUR SWAMP SPARROWS, along with very large quantities of Song Sparrows and Marsh Wrens.
>
> Away from the Cushman area, passerine activity was high, consisting mostly of Myrtle Warblers (ten or more almost anywhere with willow brush), Song Sparrows, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, with smaller numbers of Golden-crowned Kinglets, Sooty Fox Sparrows, Hermit Thrushes, Juncos, and Golden-crowned + White-crowned Sparrows. Only a few Chickadees were present throughout the day. The gull wad at Stonefield was mostly California, with good numbers of Herring and Mew, a few Glaucous-winged and Western (maybe two each), and the Heermann's.
>
> Alan, Nolan, or Daniel Ferrar (who joined us at the jetty) can add.
>
> Good birding to all,
>
> Caleb Centanni

Join us on Facebook!