Date: 11/16/18 9:08 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: small GHOW fern hill park, NE Portland
I saw a LEOW under just such circumstances at Zumwalt Park, Fern Ridge
Reservoir, one Saturday in November 1976. Mike Patterson and Alan
Curmudgeon got to see it too. We had binoculars. It's the second growth
D-fir, corvidmobbing that was similar. Given the fern connection, l bet you
saw Asio, not Bubo. Lars

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018, 9:00 AM Ben Weinstein <benweinstein2010...>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> About 10 minutes ago I had an interesting, and frustratingly incomplete,
> sighting. I was at Fern Hill Park in NE Portland with my dog, without binos
> or a cell phone, and found an owl tucked close to the trunk of large fir,
> about 10m up. The bird was being harassed by several crows. It had large
> ear tufts. Obviously size can be tricky, but the bird was slender and
> smaller than a barred owl. My experience with GHOW is that they feel large
> and heavy. I could not see any color, but it definitely had some white
> around the chin. Given this, and the relative rarity, I think its safe to
> rule out LEOW, but it took me awhile. If anyone is around Fern Hill, it was
> in the first set of trees behind the dog park, away from the roads.
>
> Ben Weinstein
>
> --
> Ben Weinstein, Ph.D.
> Postdoctoral Fellow