Date: 11/15/18 3:12 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Google Street View Birding
Here is a my version. Always longing for the sea, I check out OSUs RV Oceanus’s web cam, nice shot every 10 min, it has been sitting at dock in Newport past few days but when it is off Oregon I hope to see a Shy Albatross fly across its bow. None yet but it is better than watching commercials. It was off Alaska this yr as well, no birds seen. My “pelagic birding from couch list” has a few Western and Cal Gulls on it, so it really is a grand waste of time now that I think about it.

Bob Archer
PDX

> On Nov 15, 2018, at 1:23 PM, Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...> wrote:
>
> Birders,
>
> I’d like to take a moment to talk about a recent fad that I just found out about. Simply put, you try and find as many bird species as you can via Google Street View. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, and it is. However, having tried it out the other day, I must say it is incredibly entertaining, especially considering the limited daylight we currently have provide less hours in the day to go bird watching. If you are on Facebook, there is a group dedicated to this pursuit, called Google Street View Birding. The 500+ members have already collectively found over 300 species through these means, all over the world. Give it a try if you dare!
>
> Here’s an example of a Brown Booby (look up) I found in Mexico. There are other boobies flying around as well.
> <0B5F817E-96CF-4631-B6A0-18FF687B6072.png>
>
> https://www.google.com/maps/@20.6979029,-105.5683564,0a,75y/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHi6k6sETGLgGM44_Ac9x1w!2e0
>

> Happy searching,
> -Nick Mrvelj (Portland)

Join us on Facebook!