Date: 11/14/18 2:08 pm
From: Siobhan Ruck <ms.siobhan.ruck...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] 535 American Crows at Rincon Center Nov. 13, 5:20 pm, gone at 7:15
I often see good sized flocks during my drive home along Sagamore Street (connector between Alemany and Brotherhood). Often 50+ birds, sometimes more than 100. The flocks sometimes turn up on the eastern end of Brotherhood as well.

I was thinking it was a winter thing, but realized that’s the only time of year that it’s getting dark as I drive that stretch. So possible year round roost site.

Siobhan Ruck SF
> On Nov 14, 2018, at 7:14 AM, William Grant <wbgrant...> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I reported at ebird: Roosting in trees, on roof, counted by 2s; passed by the same area around 7:10 pm and the crows were gone. Evidently they arrive there, communicate loudly with other crows, then go elsewhere for the night, perhaps on roofs where they can be warmed by air from the air-handling systems.
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49922109
>
> I plan to return some late afternoon and watch them arrive, then depart.
>
> If this part of SF is their preferred area to overnight, counting them there could give an estimate of the SF crow population. Does anyone know other places they spend the night?
>
> I often see 50 crows on Pacific Ave. between Van Ness and Franklin arrive around 8:00 am, then depart for the day's activities. Sometimes I also see them flying by on their way east in the morning.
>
> Bill

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!