Date: 11/13/18 8:21 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Odd Stuff (like Chopi Blkbrd?)
I visited several sites this morning, starting with a walk in the grass at
Crissey, which actually left me with dry feet. Stirred up four Savannahs,
and six Am. Pipits, but the odd highlight was a bird briefly with the
starling flock. It was mostly black with a brown tinge, except for a panel
in the secondaries of lighter brown feathers, and the eyes were black. It
was about the size of the starlings, but it's posture was more upright than
local blackbirds. It seemed more like a cowbird in shape, except that the
beak, though broad based, curved down and out to a fine point. It then
took flight, and headed to the lagoon, but eventually swerved back over me
and landed rather distantly, where it was briefly joined by a smaller brown
bird that looked like a female/juv cowbird. Then both birds flew toward
and over me with the female bird showing a forked tail, as well as some
stripes on the body. Later the male returned alone and flew all over
Crissey without ever landing again within my view; I lost it well off
toward the Coast Guard Pier.

Many years ago, Keith Hansen in Marin reported a Chopi Blackbird in his
area. I looked the species up, and the following day recognized the same
bird when it appeared at S Lake Merced with the icterid flock there. After
checking photos today of Shiny Cowbird and seeing the wrong beak, I once
again reviewed Chopi, and it looks fine for what I saw this morning, though
I did not try to review the entire blackbird family. Keep your eyes peeled
for it around Crissey, even though it's a likely escapee.

The only other unusuals were an Acorn Woodpecker flying by the East Wash,
and a Turkey Vulture perched at Middle Lake, one of the few I've ever seen
sitting around the city. I suspect that both were smoke or east wind
affected, and wonder what other oddities are out there.

Brian Fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!