Date: 11/13/18 11:26 am
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Baldwin Creek and Swanton
I visited Baldwin Creek on Monday and was able to find the Lesser Scaup,
Common Goldeneye, Green-winged Teal,, a couple of Wilson's Snipes, plus the
female Hooded Merganser, reported by Phil Brown. The Merganser was
originally in the smaller pond parallel to the beach, but later emerged at
the top of the creek (or was that a 2nd Merganser?). I also spotted what
I'm pretty sure was a 2nd (or 3rd) female Hooded Merganser in the larger
pond to the south, visible from the RR tracks. A few Mallards, Pied-billed
Grebes and Northern Shovelers, and a lot of Coots. Less luck with
raptors: several Red-tailed Hawks and White-tailed Kite, but I did get to
watch the Kite harass on of the Hawks. Also saw a Snowy Egret chase a
Black-crowned Night-heron from one pond to the other. On the beach,
Sanderlings (look for one with a lame left leg). In the water, a few Surf
Scoters and a large flock of gulls off-shore. Along the RR tracks and
back to Hwy 1: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Western Meadowlark, Say's Phoebe,
Common Yellowthroat and lots of White-crowned Sparrows.

Lee Jaffe