Date: 11/13/18 9:26 am
From: Andrew Reago <andrew.reago...>
Subject: Stunning number of Short-eared Owls at Clarence Cannon NWR 11/12/18 & video
Yesterday was cold (30°) with wind and snow all day/evening, but we
persevered in checking out what birds might be visiting up Hwy 79. The
visibility was low, so we didn't find much at Winfield Dam. B.K. Leach
was rather subdued, but arriving at Clarence Cannon NWR around 1PM, we
were treated to a magnificent experience. Immediately upon driving up
to the visitors center, a Short-eared Owl flew over the car. Thinking
this was a bit unusual, we drove through the refuge and found that
they were literally everywhere we went. In one particular spot, we
stopped to film and photograph them, still not believing what we were
seeing. (They were defying all the stereotypes about them - that they
did not like wind, snow or to hunt during the day.) We counted 23 owls
in just this one spot - 14 on my side of the car, 9 on Andy's side.
The owls seemed to dominate the particular area we filmed, but
Northern Harriers were also everywhere - literally. Ducks were in the
hundreds, Eagles flew about, Pipits were plentiful, Lapland Longspurs
were easy to find, a flock of pure Rusties was foraging and so much
more. We made a video of the owls to share. If the link does not work
for you, copy and paste it into your browser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWe51Xau9XI [1]

Andy Reago
St. Louis MO
<andrew.reago...>