Date: 11/11/18 9:32 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto warblers
Folks:

Other numbers concerning Yellow-rumped Warblers:

From banding data at the Coyote Creek Riparian Station in the 11 years
from 1986 to 1996, the number of Myrtles was 794 and the number of
Audubon's were 2847, thus 22% were Myrtles.

From banding data at Wool Ranch from 1970 to 1972 (but only in spring
and fall), the number of Myrtles was 22 and the number of Audubon's were
151, thus 12% were Myrtles.

Observers in Central California became interested in the proportion of
the two subspecies in the late 1960s and this culminated the following
table based on CBC data (count circles not described) for five major
regions (/Am. Birds/ 27:660):
† Region††† ††† ††† ††† ††† Yellow-rumped Warbler††† Percent Myrtles
Outer Coast††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††† 2089 ††† ††† 42.0
Inner Coast††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††† †††††† 440 ††† ††† 11.6
Inner Coast Range††† ††† ††† †††††† 625 ††††† 3.8
Central Valley††† ††† ††† ††† ††† †††† 2239 ††† ††† † 0.7
Sierra††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††† ††††††† 11 ††† ††† ††† †††† 0.0
[The printed table had 4.2 percent, but was corrected in a subsequent
volume.]† They also commented that "an apparent difference in habitat
preferences exists between Myrtle and Audubon types.† 'Myrtle' Warblers
basically prefer riparian growth, dense lowland oak woodland or
residential parks grown to dense stands of mature deciduous trees.†
'Audubon's' Warblers, on the other hand, prefer open or newly developed
residential areas with scattered small trees and shrubs."

Our Myrtles are probably all the subspecies /hooveri /that breeds in
Alaska and the Yukon and not /coronata /that nests in northwestern
Canada across to the east coast and winters in the southeastern U.S.†
The subspecies /hooveri/ was named for Theodore Hoover, the President's
older brother, who eventually became Dean of Engineering at Stanford.†
The older Hoover was an active birder while enrolled at Stanford and
became attracted to the valley of Waddell Creek.† Later, he purchased
much of that land and his granddaughter gave it to the state, now called
Rancho del Oso.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park