Date: 11/11/18 8:55 pm
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Baldwin Creek and Swanton
Todays Santa Cruz Bird Club trip took in Baldwin (no gull flock) and Swaton
Pon. We had LESSER SCAUP, multiple WILSON'S SNIPE and a big array of
raptors at Baldwin (WHITE-TAILED KITE, RED-TAILED HAWK, RED-SHOULDERED
HAWK, MERLIN, COOPERS HAWK, NORTHERN HARRIER, AMERICAN KESTREL and TURKEY
VULTURE), and good selection of ducks on the ponds (NORTHERN SHOVELLER,
COMMON GOLDENEYE, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, LESSER SCAUP and a very surprising
female type HOODED MERGANSER).
There were a few SANDERLINGS on the beach but few shorebirds otherwise.

On to Swanton pond where on stepping out of our cars we had LOGGERHEAD
SHRIKE and FERRUGiNOUS HAWK within 3 minutes. There were lots of
RING-NECKED DUCKS on the pond, a couple of WOOD DUCKS, a couple of RUDDY
DUCKS, a number of AMERICAN WIGEON, one GADWALL and MALLARDS. SORAS were
plentiful and easy to see, and we did find one observable VIRGINIA RAIL.
SAVANNAH, WHITE-CROWNED and LINCOLN'S SPARROWS were seen. There was also a
big flock of TRI-COLORED BLACKBIRDS.

We had 69 species for the morning.

Thanks to all who joined the group and helped find birds.

Phil Brown